Saturday, January 19, 2013

Do not try this on your own!


I’ve had the opportunity of working with a client that had already attempted his own investigative work. He thought he knew the man that was living with his former wife and small son. I took this mans case because he told me his attorney, let’s call him Mr. Good, after chastising him for his actions, had referred him to me to conduct a background on this man. I knew this attorney very well as I have done business with him for many years. He has even written about some of my cases conducted for him on his website, not mentioning any names in order to maintain confidentially.
This case was only 3 days in progress when the client started to show his true colors. During the background process I found out he had given me the wrong name, age, address and arrest for subject, etc. I also found out he had only spoken with Mr. Good and had not retained him. This was not the statement the client gave to me earlier when we spoke about his case.
I uncovered some information that I had to rule out involving a possible sex offender since the welfare of a little 4 yr old boy could be at stake. It became necessary I speak with local law enforcement. Once I spoke with the sheriff’s department regarding this unknown man, things became pretty sticky in a short amount of time.
To make a long story short, the client was the one that was almost arrested for stalking and still may be if he continues on the same path.
The moral of this story is simply this: Do not attempt your own investigation and do not ever give your private investigator and or attorney the wrong information. It is always best to just say you don’t know. It always best to be willing to pay for an investigation by a state licensed investigator and leave the investigating to us.
Remember the saying, “Only a fool lies to his attorney and investigator.”
Ok, the last part about the investigator might be my saying, but nevertheless, still true.

No comments:

Post a Comment