Sunday, January 6, 2013

Grandparents have rights

Over the years I’ve had the pleasure of working with some of the most wonderful people on the planet- grandparents. It’s not always the mom or dad that comes to me when lives of young children are at risk. A while back I had the grandparents of 3 minor children come to see me because the parents were both allegedly using drugs and neglecting the kids. The grandparents had retained a very prominent Atlanta attorney with a specialization in domestic cases to represent them as they sought custody of the children. The parents were separated and both had joint custody. This attorney, whom I had worked with on numerous occasions, suggested they talk with me regarding obtaining some relevant evidence for court.

When the mother had them in July, she absconded with the children and refused to bring them home. She stopped communicating with the family members and all were worried sick about the kids.

Over several days of conducting an extensive investigation by utilizing numerous investigative procedures, I was able to locate the runaway parent and the 3 children. I worked with law enforcement to go pick up the kids and bring them back to the sheriff’s department where I stayed with them until my clients, the grandparents came to pick them up.

The clients were awarded custody of their grandchildren and they were raised in a safe, loving environment. As far as the attorney and my clients were concerned, this case ended very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment